Sad Scared PupIf you’re like us you’re hoping that the 4th of July is not going to be a complete wash-out this year in Knoxville and Oak Ridge, Tennessee. 

You’ve got bar-b-ques to have, fireworks to watch, and lakes to swim in; while Waggy Tails has plenty of dogs to walk and belly rubs to give.  So let’s hope the rain holds off for some July 4th fun!  Whatever your plans may be, it’s always important to keep a few pet safety reminders in mind to ensure your pets also have a comfortable day.  Here they are in no particular order.  Seven ways to keep your pet from panicking this Fourth of July!

1. Have your Pet Properly Identified Now is a good time to double check that each of your pets has an ID tag with their name and your phone number clearly visible.  If you pet has a microchip, consider a small tag identifying him/her as a micro-chipped animal.

2. Watching the Fireworks? Leave your Pet at Home – Pets don’t appreciate crowded, loud, unfamiliar places, such as where you may go to watch the fireworks.  They are more likely to freak out and desperately seek shelter.  Locking them in the car is never a good option either.

3. Keep the Alcohol out of Reach – A pet that drinks alcohol can become dangerously intoxicated, go into a coma, and possibly even die.  Beer is toxic to pets the same as any other alcoholic drink.

4. Don’t Use Insect Repellant or Sunscreen on Your Pet – Unfortunately what isn’t toxic to people, is not necessarily not
toxic to animals.  Using repellant or sunscreen on your pets can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, and Scared Pooch on a Leashlethargy.

5. Keep your Pet Indoors at All Times – Even if your pet is used to being outside, the 4th of July is a time to consider setting them up with a safe and secure indoor location.  Fireworks can cause pets to panic and break their restraint or jump a fence in a terrified state.

6. Keep Glow Jewelry Away –  Dogs love to chew plastic, and while glow jewelry might be cute, it can cause big problems if a dog decides to eat it.  Ingestion may cause excessive drooling, gastrointestinal irritation, and intestinal blockage.

7. No Firework Use Around Pets – Keep the pets inside while you break out the sparklers or other small fireworks at home.  They can result in severe burns or trauma to curious pets, as well as containing toxic substances such as arsenic, potassium nitrate, and other heavy metals.