Here’s a fact that most dog owners may be surprised to learn: Research shows that dogs left alone spend 80% of their time resting, even if they have access to your yard.
So how much exercise does your dog really need? At a minimum your dog should have 20-30 minute of “heart-pumping” exercise at least 3 times a week. This needs to be more than a stroll around the block to take care of business. I’m talking about power-walking, jogging, frisbee throwing, or other-wise getting your dog’s heart rate up and tongue hanging out!
This means most dogs aren’t getting the exercise needed to promote and maintain their health. With most of us working 10+ hours daily, is it really such a surprise? There simply aren’t enough hours in our days. Maybe you become a “Weekend Warrior” with your dog and try to make up for the lack of exercise during the week. While weekend hiking adventures and long trips to the dog park can be a lot of fun, a daily exercise routine is a much healthier and safer alternative.
So what can you do? That’s where an experienced and dependable dog walking service like Waggy Tails Pet Sitting + Dog Walking comes in! Here are 5 reasons we believe hiring a regular dog walker is incredibly important:
1. Health – Your dog’s health depends on you! Consistent exercise can reduce the risk of your dog developing arthritis, heart disease, and other life-threatening illnesses that could become very expensive to treat.
2. Behavior – A well exercised dog is a well behaved dog! With regular opportunities to run, play, and get out of the house, a dog will have calmer behavior at home, and be less inclined to bark, chew, bite, and use the bathroom indoors.
3. Stimulation – For dogs, mental stimulation can be as exhilarating as physical exercise. Avoid the guilt of leaving your dog alone all day long. Think about how bored your dog must be during your hours away from the house! A dog walker can break up the monotony of the day, offering the stimulation and socialization that is likely the highlight of your dog’s day.
4. Save Time – Avoid spending your lunch hour rushing home to let out your dog. Don’t worry if you need to stay late after work or want to go out to eat. By using a professional dog walker you’ll free up your schedule, and check one of the items off your daily to-do list without lifting a finger. You’ll come home to a much more mellow dog who will be happy to enjoy time relaxing with you after work.
5. Peace of Mind – Your dog will have already developed a friendship with an experienced dog walker who can also provide pet sitting visits when you travel for business or vacation. Rather than disrupting your dog’s daily schedule when you travel, your dog walker/pet sitter can help ensure your dog stays happy and healthy in the comfort of your own home.
So why not let Waggy Tails help you in your efforts to promote a healthy lifestyle for your best friend? Your dog’s daily exercise routine and healthy lifestyle no-longer has to fall squarely on your shoulders. Fill out our Schedule a Meeting form to get to know one of Waggy Tail’s professional dog walkers, and get your dog started on an exercise routine ASAP! Your dog will thank you!