Pet parents in Knoxville and Oak Ridge are interested in ensuring that their canine family members stay active and engaged during the daytime hours when many dogs are left home alone. Doggie day care is one option that you may be considering to get your dog the exercise that he needs.
Doggie daycares are a great option for some dogs, but not for all. Be sure to consider your dog’s activity level, as well as his interest in playing with other dogs. Some dogs prefer the constant socialization and playtime that a daycare offers, but other dogs prefer a long walk or one-on-one playtime with a human (we offer daily mid-day walks and playtime at a discounted rate!) . There is no right or wrong answer regarding what type of exercise is best for your dog – playtime with other dogs, playtime with humans, or walks/runs. Consider your dog’s age, personality, and disposition when making a decision, rather then solely considering what will be the easiest solution for you.
So you’ve decided that a doggie daycare is the right choice for your dog? Great! He is going have a blast playing with other doggie friends and will likely be ready to cuddle with you on the couch when you get home. However I would suggest considering a 2-3x per week doggie daycare schedule, rather then sending him Monday-Friday. Even the most active dogs can become over stimulated with that much socialization and may revert to “pack mentality” behavior in your own home. A great option is to schedule doggie daycare 2-3x per week, and schedule a dog walker for the other 2-3 days. With a dog walker, your dog is still getting plenty of exercise and stimulation to break up his day, but he’s also given the opportunity to relax and rest up. We offer a variety of walk options from a quick 20 minute power walk, all the way up to a 1 hour period of walking, playing, and one-on-one attention.
We’ve outlined your doggie day care options in the Knoxville and Oak Ridge areas to give you a starting place when exploring your options. We hope you’ll be in touch with Waggy Tails to meet a dog walker for the other days! Just click on our Schedule Services tab and click “New Clients: Request a Meeting.”
Knoxville and Oak Ridge Doggie Daycares:
1. Happy Yap Doggie Day Care: website – www.happyyap.com/blog/
– located in South Knoxville just off Chapman highway, less then 2 miles from downtown Knoxville
– open Monday through Friday, 7am-6pm for dogs 12 weeks and older
– rates range from $17-$22 per full day, per dog
2. Pets R People 2: website – www.petsrpeople2.us/
– located in West Knoxville, off of Lovell Road
– open 7 days a week, 7am-7pm
– rates range from $17.50 – $20 per full day, per dog
3. Puppy Luv Farms: website – www.puppyluvfarms.com
– located in Powell
– open Monday, and Wednesday-Saturday 8am-6pm, and Sunday 1pm-6pm
– rates are $19 per full day, per dog
4. PetSafe Village DayCamp: website – www.petsafevillage.com/day-camp
– two locations in West Knoxville, off of Lovell Road and in Bearden
– open Monday – Friday, 6am-8pm, and Saturday and Sunday 8am-5pm
– rates range from $18.50 – $28.95 per full day, per dog
5. Dog Days Canine Play School: website – www.dogdayscanineplayschool.com/
– located in Farragut off Campbell Station Road
– rates range from $16-$20 per full day, per dog
6. Ginger’s Dream Doggie Daycare: website – www.gingersdream.com
-located near downtown Knoxville
– open Monday-Friday 7am-7pm, weekends and holidays 9am-5pm
– $15 per full day M-F, per dog; $20 per full day weekends and holidays, per dog
7. Pups and Pals: website – www.pupsnpals.net
– located in North Knoxville off Broadway
– open Monday-Friday 8am-5pm, Saturday 9am-3pm
– $12 per full day, or $50 weekly, per dog
We hope this helps in your search for activity and exercise for your dog during the day!